Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Young & Free



Big things can happen while you're taking an afternoon nap. Peter and I got back from Prescott Family Holiday today, and, reunited with my very own bed, I felt a nap was in order, to celebrate the reunion, you know. I woke up an hour or two later to find that my humble little EP, "Young and Free", had been uploaded to Bandcamp by my incredible husband, adorned and made complete by the inimitable artwork of our brother Phil Jackson, given a glowing review by our friend Nik Papageorgiou, advertised on Facebook by my lovely sister-in-law, 'liked' by family and friends, and even downloaded. All without me lifting a finger, or indeed, an eyelid.

I am constantly surprised and humbled by how much encouragement and help people have generously given me. Freely, freely, I have received, and I am unspeakably grateful.

It's a privilege to have Phil Jackson's artwork gracing my virtual album covers. I don't know how many fledgling indie artists have truly world-class cover art - not many, I imagine. Having wandered happily through Phil's pictures time and again, I'd have to say number 26 is my favourite. I feel an immediate affinity with the tiny girl in the towering garden, because I sometimes feel very small, too, and it's not necessarily a bad feeling. If I look at the picture long enough, I feel like I've stepped into it, like that really is me, gazing up at a colossal dandelion, soaked in the magic and impossibility of it all. I don't know if any other picture has so captured my imagination, nor, indeed, am I able to fully express what it is that so intrigues me about it.

In this wrapping paper, then, "Young and Free" is now available for your listening joy.

No comments:

Post a Comment