Sunday, April 15, 2012

My Exceeding Joy



I was asked to sing a song to a church of 15,000 people (don't worry, only 5,000 people per sitting, no pressure) while we were in Rwanda. An honour and an opportunity, right? Well, I panicked, I worried. What could I say or sing that wouldn't be just a drop in the ocean of Rwanda's unspeakable suffering?

The moment came, I was beckoned on to the stage and donned StagePresenceTaryn, an immaculately poised professional. My inner palpitations infected the first line of the song with a slight tremor, but then the words began to flow, clear as a mountain stream.

"Why are you cast down, o my soul?/ Why are you struggling?/ The Lord has not forsaken you/ so put your hope in Him/ put your hope in Him!"

The attentive silence erupted. The crowd went wild! There was cheering, ululation, clapping, cries of "Amen!" and "Hallelujah!" I was so surprised I almost forgot to keep singing.

Maybe all anyone really needs to know is that God has not forsaken them.

Thanks for listening,
Taryn

No comments:

Post a Comment