Sunday, April 8, 2012

Beautiful Day (U2 Cover)


(Posted on Easter Sunday, in celebration of the most Beautiful Day in all of history)

This song is the soundtrack to my life.

"The heart is a bloom, shoots up through the stony ground".
My father bought me a U2 album when I was about ten, as part of my musical education. I cranked up the volume on my headphones, and tried to play drums to it. Unfortunately for the neighbours, I did not know how to play the drums. Fortunately for me, I couldn't hear what I was playing.

"You thought you found a friend to take you out of this place
Someone you can lend a hand in return for grace"

There were days in high school when trouble in my family weighed like the world on my shoulders. Peter would prance up and warble "It's a beautiful day! Don't let it get away!" He was right.

"See the bird with a leaf in her mouth/
after the flood all the colours came out"

After our wedding ceremony, we walked demurely down the aisle to the serene notes of the Wedding March, which suddenly morphed into 'Beautiful Day'! We would have broken into dancing and leaping and running if the aisle was longer.

"What you don't have, you don't need it now"
Here we are, on a beach in Wales, forgiven, grateful, joyous. It really is a beautiful day.

1 comment: